We understand that going to the dentist may be stressful for some of our patients. If you’re nervous about your dental visit, let us know! We want you to be as comfortable as possible during your dental treatment, so we are pleased to offer our patients the option of comfortable, safe, and effective sedation dentistry. Patients who benefit from sedation dentistry have:
- A fear or anxiety of being at the dentist
- A hard time sitting still for long periods of time
- Apprehension about certain dental procedures
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows your doctor to provide a variety of dental treatments safely and comfortably to patients who experience anxiety when visiting the dentist. There are several benefits of sedation dentistry, including:
- Less fear or anxiety during treatment
- More comfort during dental procedures
- A more relaxing dental experience
Patients who have undergone a procedure using sedation dentistry will tell you it’s a simple, relaxing way to experience dentistry.
- Oral Sedation: Anxiolysis is a light form of sedation dentistry and is often used for patients with mild anxiety or those who have longer procedures or more complex situations. Usually administered orally, with mild sedation, you'll remain awake or very sleepy throughout the entire procedure and are able to breathe on your own, but you will feel a great sense of relaxation. Patients typically recover from anxiolysis sedation within a few hours after the procedure is complete.
- Inhaled Sedation: Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the most frequently used method for easing mild to moderate anxiety. Administered through a small mask that fits over your nose, it is an effective way to calm anxiety, raise your pain threshold, and it may even make time seem like it’s passing quicker than usual. At the end of your appointment, you’ll resume breathing regular oxygen, and all the effects of nitrous oxide will disappear so that you can resume your normal activities immediately.
- Intramuscular (IM) Sedation: Intramuscular sedation, which involves an injection of sedative drugs into the muscles of the upper arm or upper thigh, can result in sedation within a short amount of time.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation: In IV sedation, a sedative is administered intravenously, or directly into a vein. The sedation can be quickly modified to your state of consciousness and can be continued as long as necessary for the procedure.
What does it mean to be an IV Certified and Licensed Practitioner?
A dentist who is IV certified and licensed to administer IV sedation has received additional specialty training and has been legally certified by their state’s Board of Dental Examiners to deliver medical drugs that alter a patient’s consciousness for a comfortable, pain-free treatment.
Understanding the range of choices that are available to relieve anxiety and discomfort can be very useful. Please contact our practice to schedule a consultation, learn more about sedation dentistry, and find out which sedation dentistry method is right for you.
Sedation dentistry provides a safe, comfortable alternative to dental treatment for patients with special needs or dental anxiety. If you feel sedation dentistry may help make your dental experience more relaxed, please ask your dentist before your dental treatment in Houston TX